Tuesday, January 13, 2015

LET'S GET COOKING

Lemme me introduce you to this yummy looking fellow
Looking good starts from the inside out. So this year, this lil blog over here will not only document what I put ON my body but also what I put INTO it. Think Gwyneth Paltrow's GOOP but less obnoxious :)



I plan to share tasty healthy easy-to-make recipes and what better recipe to begin with than what I served up for the New Year's dinner, right? *Drum Roll*


ROAST CHICKEN & BAKED POTATOES RECIPE

Ingredients:1. Whole chicken
2. 5 medium Irish Potatoes (washed & quartered)
3. 1 large carrot (diced)
4. 1 large red onion (diced)
5. Lemon zest
6. 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
7. Olive Oil
8. Rosemary (dried)
9. 2 tablespoons Margarine/Butter
10.Pepper and Salt to taste
 Only 10 ingredients needed to get this jam on the road!

Taking a pic of the ingredients for you. Please excuse the fuzziness and the festive season weight gain :)
Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 240.
2. Dress the chicken and pat dry and place breast side up in a shallow oven pan.
3. Wash and quarter the potatoes and arrange them on the tray around the chicken.
4. Thoroughly butter up the chicken and spread the crushed garlic and lemon zest all over. (I made the zest by grating the lemon skin but even store bought zest works just as well.)
5. Sprinkle pepper and salt on the chicken and inside the cavities and all over the potatoes.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes  and chicken and sprinkle with rosemary.
7. Bake for 25 minutes then remove from oven.
8. Turn over the potatoes
9. Add the vegetables to the pan (carrots & onions).
10. Add 500ml of water to the pan and return to oven for 45 mins. (This was to make dipping sauce and to stop the chicken from drying up but you can skip it).
11. Remove from oven, plate, and serve with chilled drinks :)


Eventually had to put down the phone to get back to the serious rocket science of vegetable prep.
Forgot to take a pic of the chicken before putting it into the oven so here's one 10 minutes in. 
The scent of baking chicken at this point was so gooood, I seriously expected the neighbours to come knocking asking for my recipe! They didn't though. Clearly they have more self restraint than I do kubanga not only would I have followed this scent and asked for the recipe, I would shamelessly have gone with a dish to bring home a piece of whatever they were cooking! Anyway, this post takes care of that. Let it not be said that I'm not a considerate neighbour.

Oh baby, the things I can't wait to do to you would make your mama weep!


Carved off a drumstick and it was like christmas in my mouth! No. It was like Christmas, my birthday and New Year's combined! The butter was so worth it!

I got the idea for this recipe as I was reading The Language of Flowers (such an enlightening book by the way. I'll never look at brides carrying yellow rose bouquets the same again!) and rosemary roast chicken was deemed an easy recipe so in my usual way of losing myself in the characters I'm reading, I just had to try it out! And it really was easy! And the taste is so good, so disproportional for the work that went in! The potatoes alone almost made me weep at what I've been missing out on! Do try it and tell me how it goes for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by Feeric Studios. Powered by Blogger